Wednesday, July 20, 2011

RIP DJ Screw

Being in Austin for the summer really has its drawbacks.  Hearing all of my friends from back home talking about RIP DJ Screw, and how 97.9 have been doing chopped and screwed mixes all day is sort of depressing. Chop and screwed music is something that have been apart of my life for a while.  DJ Screw is such an important figure for chopped and screwed music as we know it today.  Many people who aren't familiar with this type of music are quick to put it down when first hearing.  I remember hearing my first chopped and screwed song which was Destiny Child's song Survivor when I was in the 6th grade.  Chopping and screwing for me to hard to explain if you haven't really heard it.  In my attempt to define, it is a way to slow down a song dramatically and in a unique form go back to repeat certain parts of the song.  Maybe not the best definition, but if I had more knowledge of actually being in a studio or being familiar with that type of computer programming, I would be able to explain more. DJ Screw started off as a big time Houston DJ who was the originator of this chopped and screwed music. He died about 10 years ago and today would have been his birthday, there the best hip hop radio station in Houston showed him much love today my playing his music and other songs and music that was inspired my DJ Screw's work. Following his death, he became more of a national figure. Drake's entire November 18th song was a tribute to Dj Screw.  He starts off saying RIP DJ screw, and the song is a remake to an old Dj Screw. Song. DJ Screw received a couple of shout outs in a couple of Lil Waynes singles, but even without the recognition from Lil Wayne, DJ Screws music would have still been a huge influence on Houston's rap music as we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment