Saturday, August 6, 2011

I refuse

Finally all settled into my new place.  I absolutely love it and the new scenery.  After 3 years West Campus had just become too much.  The noise, parties, extremely drunk people and crazy music.  I would look out over my balcony only to see one of the frat houses throwing a party and looking at several wasted frat boys "Moving like Bernie."  This is one dance song that I refused to get into.  I don't remember when the whole dance movement took over, but for me in 2007 at my graduation party I vividly remember cranking that soulja boy.  Everyone was so excited about doing this dance.  From there the whole "crank dat" movement took over.  I came to college and I saw people crankin that Batman, and Robin Hood.  Most of these songs were never played on the radio.  People just uploaded videos on youtube of a song with a very basic hook, and verses that were absolutely ridiculous and came up with real catchy organized dance moves to do to the song.  Then viewers got in front of their computers and watched and rehearsed these dances.  Although I thought the songs were crazy, I still practiced these dances.  After the crank that music faded away, there was a dance called the "Ricky Bobby." Somehow the song is referring to Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights, but I never quite understood how the dance had anything to do with movie.  From there I remember seeing alot of my Dallas friends doing this weird looking dance that I had never seen before.  Here comes the dougie phase.  The dougie was not as organized as these other dances.  It allowed you to be creative and add your own flavor to it.  Like those other dances, there was not one particular song to dougie to.  This dance spread like a wild fire, and you would seeing people doing it to just about every song. The dougie lasted a good while, people are still doing especially since that "Teach me How to Dougie." song came out.  Now the new thing is the South Dallas Swag. As much as I hate to say it because I know some of these songs and dances are pretty stupid, I secretly found myself practicing all of them in a mirror, but this Bernie song I just refused.  There's no way I would ever, it's really that bad.  I really don't know what genre any of these "dance songs" fall into.  I will never consider any of them hip hop, because if this is hip hop, it really is dead.  I give Dallas all of the credit.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I understand. Every time I see my twin sister, she has a new dance to show me. She taught my mom how to Dougie. Taught my little cousin how to chicken noodle soup (dumb). Most are fun/hilarious, but she also draws the line at Bernie. I mean, sure we've done the dance together, even in public. But only once or twice. But she took that out of her arsenal. You can only pretend to dance like a dead guy suspended by strings for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious. Especially since I've only heard of the Dougie but never have seen it. It's crazy how these things catch on.

    ReplyDelete